About the Manual
- Dozens of full-color figures and photos replace black and white line drawings inthe Exercise Review Sheets. Selected labeling questions in the manual can be assigned in Mastering A&P.
- Clinical Application Questions in the Exercise Review Sheets challenge students to apply lab concepts and critical thinking skills to realworld clinical scenarios. These streamlined questions are adapted from several of the “Why This Matters,” discussions in the previous edition.
- BIOPAC procedures are included in the manual for eight lab exercises and have been updated for the BIOPAC 4.0 software upgrade. Procedures for Intelitool®, PowerLab®, and iWorx® remain available in the Instructor Resources area of Mastering A&P®.
- Mastering A&P Visual Previews appear on the first page of each lab exercise, guiding students to explore a recommended pre-lab video, a related image from Practice Anatomy Lab 3.1 (PAL 3.1), or a helpful animation.
- Mastering A&P Assignment Recommendations are signaled at appropriate points throughout the manual to help instructors locate and assign related auto-graded activities and assessments.
Also available with Mastering A&P
- 8 Pre-Lab Video Coaching Activities in Mastering A&P (for a total of 18) focus on key concepts in the lab activity and walk students through important procedures. New pre-lab video topics include Preparing and Observing a Wet Mount, Examining a Long Bone, Initiating Pupillary Reflexes, Palpating Superficial Pulse Points, Auscultating Heart Sounds, and more.
- Cat and Fetal Pig Dissection Video Coaching Activities help students prepare for dissection by previewing key anatomical structures. Each video includes 12 comparisons to human structures.
- Practice Anatomy Lab™ (PAL™ 3.1) is now fully accessible on all mobile devices including smart phones, tablets and laptops. PAL is an indispensable virtual anatomy study and practice tool that gives students 24/7 access to the most widely used lab specimens including human cadaver, anatomical models from leading manufacturers such as 3B Scientific, SOMSO, Denoyer-Geppert, Frey Scientific/Nystrom, Altay Scientific, and Ward’s, histology, cat, and fetal pig. PAL 3.1 is easy to use and includes built-in audio pronunciations, rotatable bones and simulated fill-in-the-blank lab practical exams.
- Customizable Practice Anatomy Lab (PAL) Flashcards enable students to create a personalized, mobilefriendly deck of flashcards and quizzes using images from PAL 3.1. Students can generate flashcards using only the structures that their instructor emphasizes in lecture or lab.
- Building Vocabulary coaching activities are a fun way for students to learn word roots and A&P terminology while building and practicing important language skills.
- Dynamic Study Modules help students study effectively on their own by continuously assessing their activity and performance in real time. Students complete a set of questions and indicate their level of confidence in their answer. Questions repeat until the student can answer them all correctly and confidently. These are available as graded assignments prior to class and are accessible on smartphones, tablets, and computers.
- NEW! Instructors can now remove questions from Dynamic Study Modules to better fit their course.
- EXPANDED! The Lab Manual Mastering A&P course now offers over 3,000 Dynamic Study Module questions, shared with Marieb/Hoehn Human Anatomy & Physiology, 11th Edition.
- Drag-and-Drop Art Labeling Questions allow students to assess their knowledge of terms and structures in the lab manual. Selected exercise review sheet labeling activities in the manual are now assignable.
- Pearson eText, optimized for mobile, seamlessly integrates videos and other rich media with the text andgives students access to their textbook anytime, anywhere. The Pearson eText is available with Mastering A&P when packaged with new books, or as an upgrade students can purchase online. The eText mobile app offers:
- Offline access on most iOS and Android phones/tablets.
- Accessibility (screen-reader ready)
- Configurable reading settings, including resizable type and night reading mode
- Instructor and student note-taking, highlighting, bookmarking, and search tools
- Embedded videos for a more interactive learning experience
- Learning Catalytics™ helps generate class discussion, customize lectures, and promote peer-to-peer learning with real-time analytics. Learning Catalytics acts as a student response tool that uses students’ smartphones, tablets, or laptops to engage them in more interactive tasks and thinking.
Table of Contents
Exercise 1. The Language of Anatomy
Exercise 2. Organ Systems Overview
The Microscope and Its Uses
Exercise 3. The Microscope
Exercise 4. The Cell: Anatomy and Division
Exercise 5. The Cell: Transport Mechanisms and Cell Permeability
Histology: Basic Tissues of the Body
Exercise 6. Classification of Tissues
The Integumentary System
Exercise 7. The Integumentary System
The Skeletal System
Exercise 8. Overview of the Skeleton: Classification and Structure of Bones and Cartilages Exercise 9. The Axial Skeleton
Exercise 10. The Appendicular Skeleton
Exercise 11. Articulations and Body Movements
The Muscular System
Exercise 12. Microscopic Anatomy and Organization of Skeletal Muscle
Exercise 13. Gross Anatomy of Muscular System
Exercise 14. Skeletal Muscle Physiology: Frogs and Human Subjects
The Nervous System
Exercise 15. Histology of Nervous Tissue
Exercise 16. Neurophysiology of Nerve Impulses: Frog Subjects
Exercise 17. Gross Anatomy of the Brain and Cranial Nerves
Exercise 18. Electroencephalography
Exercise 19. The Spinal Cord and Spinal Nerves
Exercise 20. The Autonomic Nervous System
Exercise 21. Human Reflex Physiology
Exercise 22. General Sensation
Exercise 23. Special Senses: Anatomy of the Visual System
Exercise 24. Special Senses: Visual Tests and Experiments
Exercise 25: Special Senses: Hearing and Equilibrium
Exercise 26. Special Senses: Olfaction and Taste
The Endocrine System
Exercise 27. Functional Anatomy of the Endocrine Glands
Exercise 28. Endocrine Wet Labs and Human Metabolism
The Circulatory System
Exercise 29. Blood
Exercise 30. Anatomy of the Heart
Exercise 31. Conduction System of the Heart and Electrocardiography
Exercise 32. Anatomy of Blood Vessels
Exercise 33. Human Cardiovascular Physiology: Blood Pressure and Pulse Determinations Exercise 34. Frog Cardiovascular Physiology
Exercise 35. The Lymphatic System and Immune Response
The Respiratory System
Exercise 36. Anatomy of the Respiratory System
Exercise 37. Respiratory System Physiology
The Digestive System
Exercise 38. Anatomy of the Digestive System
Exercise 39. Digestive System Processes: Chemical and Physical
The Urinary System
Exercise 40. Anatomy of the Urinary System
Exercise 41. Urinalysis
The Reproductive System, Development, and Heredity
Exercise 42. Anatomy of the Reproductive System
Exercise 43. Physiology of Reproduction: Gametogenesis and the Female Cycles
Exercise 44. Survey of Embryonic Development
Exercise 45. Principles of Heredity
Exercise 46. Surface Anatomy Roundup
PhysioEx™ 9.1 Computer Simulations
Exercise 1. Cell Transport Mechanisms and Permeability
Exercise 2. Skeletal Muscle Physiology
Exercise 3. Neurophysiology of Nerve Impulses
Exercise 4. Endocrine System Physiology
Exercise 5. Cardiovascular Dynamics
Exercise 6. Cardiovascular Physiology
Exercise 7. Respiratory System Mechanics
Exercise 8. Chemical and Physical Processes of Digestion
Exercise 9. Renal System Physiology
Exercise 10. Acid-Base Balance
Exercise 11. Blood Analysis
Exercise 12: Serological Testing
The CAT version of the lab manual will each have the following additional dissection exercises:
Cat Dissection Exercises
Exercise 1. Dissection and Identification of Cat Muscles
Exercise 2. Dissection of Cat Spinal Nerves
Exercise 3. Identification of Selected Endocrine Organs of the Cat
Exercise 4. Dissection of the Blood Vessels of the Cat
Exercise 5. The Main Lymphatic Ducts of the Cat
Exercise 6. Dissection of the Respiratory System of the Cat
Exercise 7. Dissection of the Digestive System of the Cat
Exercise 8. Dissection of the Urinary System of the Cat
Exercise 9. Dissection of the Reproductive System of the Cat
The PIG version of the lab manual will each have the following additional dissection exercises:
Pig Dissection Exercises
Exercise 1. Dissection and Identification of Fetal Pig Muscles
Exercise 2. Dissection of the Spinal Cord and Spinal Nerves of the Fetal Pig
Exercise 3. Identification of Selected Endocrine Organs of the Fetal Pig
Exercise 4. Dissection of Blood Vessels and Main Lymphatic Ducts of the Fetal Pig
Exercise 5. Dissection of the Respiratory System of the Fetal Pig
Exercise 6. Dissection of the Digestive System of the Fetal Pig
Exercise 7. Dissection of the Urinary System of the Fetal Pig
Exercise 8. Dissection of the Reproductive System of the Fetal Pig